This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 25 March 2017
■ The Lok Sabha has approved amendments to The Finance Bill, 2017 proposed by the Union Government to wind up eight tribunals, which currently exclusively deal with disputes pertaining to employees’ provident fund (EPF), Competition law, Airports economic regulation, IT law, National highways, railways, copyrights and Forex.
■ In order to India’s martime prowess, the Navy has successfully conducted the maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air Barak missile system from its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
- The firing was conducted as part of the ‘Operational Readiness Inspection’ of the Western Fleet.
- The missile marks a significant milestone in providing air interception and defence capabilities and enhanced operational capabilities of the Navy’s aircraft carrier and the flee.
■ The Parliament has passed The Employees Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016, which amends the Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923.
- It ensures compensation up to Rs 1 lakh to employee if an injured in an industrial accident and imposes hefty penalty in case of any violation by the employers.
- The Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923 provides payment of compensation to employees and their dependants in the case of injury by industrial accidents, including occupational diseases.
■ Dr Randeep Guleria has been appointed as the new Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Delhi. Guleria joined AIIMS as an assistant professor in 1992 and has been the HoD of the department of pulmonary medicine and sleep disorders, since 2011. Dr Guleria has worked as a personal physician to former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and has also treated Union Ministers Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 25 March 2017
■ US President Donald Trump has withdrawn his healthcare bill after it failed to gain enough support to pass in Congress.
- Trump expressed his disappointment and surprise after House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan withdrew the bill due to lack of support.
- He said that the Republicans only lack little votes and the Democrats would not contribute a vote.
- Note that: The Republican party enjoys a simple majority in the House with 235 members. However, due to opposition from some of its own party lawmakers, it could not muster the majority 215 votes.
■ India is ranked 87th among the surveyed 127 countries on a Global Energy Architecture Performance Index (EAPI) released as part of report of Geneva- based World Economic Forum (WEF).
- Top 5 Countries are – Switzerland (1), Norway (2), Sweden (3), Denmark (4) and France (5).
- India has marginally improved its ranking in this edition from 90th rank in 2016, but it ranks among the worst for pollution.
About the EAPI:
The EAPI is a composite index developed by WEF in collaboration with Accenture Strategy. It focuses on tracking specific indicators to measure the energy system performance of the countries. It has 18 indicators defined across the three sides of the ‘energy triangle’- economic growth and development, energy access and security and environmental sustainability.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 25 March 2017
■ Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has banned Reliance Industries and 12 other entities from equity derivatives trading for one year.
- SEBI has also directed the Mukesh Ambani-led firm to forfeit nearly 1,000 crore rupees for unlawful gains made through alleged fraudulent trading in a nearly 10-year-old case.
- The case relates to alleged fraudulent trading in the futures and options (F&O) space in the securities of RIL’s erstwhile listed subsidiary Reliance Petroleum Ltd.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. What is the India’s rank in the 2017 Human Development Index (HDI)?
- A) 131
- B) 145
- C) 168
- D) 122
Q2. What is the theme of 2017 World Tuberculosis Day (WTD)?
- A) Call for a world free of TB
- B) Unite to End TB
- C) Gear up to end TB
- D) Stop TB in my lifetime
Q3. Who has been appointed as the new Whole-Time Member (WTM) of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)?
- A) Gurumoorthy Mahalingam
- B) M M Patel
- C) S Raman
- D) Madhabi Puri Buch
Q4. Who of the following has won the 2017 Abel Prize?
- A) Andrew J. Wiles
- B) Louis Nirenberg
- C) Yves Meyer
- D) John F. Nash
Q5. The central sector scheme “Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY)” will be launched from which state?
- A) Uttar Pradesh
- B) Andhra Pradesh
- C) Madhya Pradesh
- D) Tamil Nadu
Answer these questions in the comments below. Discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post.